Wednesday, November 17, 2010

What I didn't know



i thank You God for most this amazing
day:for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
and a blue true dream of sky;and for everything
which is natural which is infinite which is yes

~ e.e. cummings ~

My friend Sheva asked me "What didn't you know at this time last year that you now know, that has made a huge difference in your life?"

What a fascinating question!

I certainly had no idea a resolution I would make for the New Year would throw open a series of doors of joy and connection.

What I resolved was to learn an inspiring poem by heart every week. Inspired by a book I happened to pick up, Saved by a Poem by Kim Rosen, I simply thought it would be fun to be able to tap into inspiring words, and that it would be good exercise for my brain cells.

Stepping through our front gate on my morning walks, paper with poem clutched in hand, I practiced lines over and over for the 20 minutes it takes to hike my hilly mile. I began to notice that I returned home with feelings of expansion and well-being. This is very good, I thought.

Little by little I began shyly sharing a poem with friends. But I still had no clue what would begin to happen. You readers of my blog know that I began to share some quotes here and there in my writings. Soon after I posted this Valentine's Day blog I found a note from Nancy Barton, agent for Daniel Landinsky, translator of one of my favorite poets, Hafiz, thanking me for sharing his poetry. I was truly astonished. I had recently connected with Janet Conner, author of Writing Down Your Soul, when she spoke at our local Inside Edge breakfast, only to find we share a passion for Hafiz poetry and an acquaintance with the same Nancy Barton.

Meanwhile, the poetry I've memorized has become my most uplifting joy, and I can recite from deep in my bones. I am invited to speak more and more often and poetry just flows from me as the very best way to illustrate my feelings.

So, here is an early holiday gift for you. The first 75 people to sign up to dial in and hear four friends, Janet Connor, Nancy Conner, Neale Lundgren and me, share our most joyous poetry for 1-1/2 hours on what we call a "Mystical Poetry Love Fest" on December 7 will receive it free--no charge. Please do sign up early, and join us!

As I am cooking up some traditional side dishes (like the corn pudding below) while stirring in poetic blessings for our Thanksgiving feast this year, I am beyond grateful for the grace of the gift that came out of simply listening within and following my heart.

And, I am thankful for you, my dear readers. May you have the most blessed Thanksgiving ever!

CORN PUDDING

For 8 servings

4 cups frozen corn kernels (about 19 ounces)

4 large eggs

1 cup heavy (whipping) cream

½ cup whole milk

1/3 cup sugar

½ stick butter, room temperature

2 tablespoons tortilla flour (masa harina) or white flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350°. Butter a 6-cup capacity baking dish.

Mix together 3 cups of the corn and the remaining ingredients in a food processor or blender until almost smooth. Pour batter into the dish. Stir in the remaining corn kernels to distribute evenly.

Bake pudding for about 45 minutes until it is brown and the center is just set. Cool 10 minutes before serving.

To prepare in advance : Cool and refrigerate, covered, for up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature for an hour or so, then reheat in microwave or oven until warm.


No comments:

Post a Comment